Rogers was born in South Wales in 1951. In 1977 he returned
to Wales after four years teaching art and ceramics in England to
open his own pottery at Rhayader.The
move to his current location, Cefn Faes Farm, came seven year later
in 1984. He built a 65 cu ft oil-fired downdraft kiln for the reduction
firing of stoneware, and a year later a 40 cu ft kiln for salt glazing.
Phil's specialities are salt glaze and reduced stoneware. He uses
local minerals and wood ash for his glazes. He has travelled the
world giving demonstrations, lectures and workshops, and is a popular
author on ceramics. He has recently made appearances on Harlech
His work has been exhibited at the Victoria and Albert Museum; the
National Museum of Wales; Newport Museum; Buckinghamshire Museum;
the City Museum, Stoke-on-Trent; the Princesshof Museum, Netherlands;
and the Keramic Museum, Hohr Grentzhauzen, Germany. Phil is a fellow
of the Craft Potters Association, and served four consecutive terms
as chairman from 1991 to 1994.